Sunday, November 22, 2009

The weekends in our household seem to fly by. Between taking turns, taking naps, and taking trips to the stores to run errors I wish every weekend was a 3 day weekend. This weekend, Aaron and I went to the Diabetes Youth Foundation Gala. Aaron has attended the summer camps there since he started his new job and was featured in several pictures on the slide show. The DYF supports a summer camp for kids with Diabetes. The hosts reminded us several times that kids with diabetes feel normal when they're at this camp and that they learn new tips from the counselors, who also have diabetes, and other campers on how to manage their diabetes. What a cool place for kids to go and just be kids.

Saturday a.k.a. "stay home day" per Olivia, was filled with cleaning and cooking for the upcoming days. Olivia and I tried to make peanut butter blossoms (the cookies with the Hersey's kiss on top) but I think we added too much flour. They turned out more like biscuits with kisses on top. We also tried to make cake balls. They are red velvet cake mixed with cream cheese frosting and then coated with milk chocolate. (Sinfully naughty, I know but delicious with each bite). Long story short, these turned out terrible. I bought chocolate coating from Walmart and should've known that it wouldn't turn out right when I was melting the chocolate in the microwave and instead of melting, it was clumping together. Oh and yes people, I did stir after 15 second intervals. This weekend's realization, I am not a baker or a candy maker.

One question out there: How do you get the family to eat leftovers? Aaron isn't a fan and will run out and grab something. I have to say it's nice that he does this because I am not cooking but it is sad because food doesn't get eaten. He has a thing about leftovers that are 5 days or older. He won't touch them. Why do you think that is? Growing up we had a leftover night. My mom would also call it a "make your own" night but we knew it was just her way of saying 1.)I'm not cooking tonight 2.)We have plenty of leftovers that need to be eaten. The good nights of the week barely had leftovers and those were usually the ones that were grabbed first. The so/so nights next and finally Mom's choice were usually left last. I think that was OK with her though because she usually turned her favorite mash potatoes into to mashed potato pancakes. Not a huge draw for my sister and I but one of her favorites. So getting back to my question: How do I get my family (really my husband) to eat leftovers?

If I find out, I'll update my post.

No comments: