For weeks now, Olivia has been practicing for her winter program, The Share Bears. This included singing and dancing in her room, recruiting her sister to rehearse with her, and of course performing non stop for her family on our new dance floor. (This is a rug that is by the front door. It has been chosen as the dance floor because of the great lighting but also because of the space that it allows the girls to move.)
When the permission slip came home in her backpack to allow her to be in the program, I thought it was strange that I had to sign off on it. I thought, "Isn't this just a singing program?" When her music teacher sent a musical CD home to practice the songs I thought it was nice for every child to have the chance to practice at home for the big night. Wow, I was surprised! Olivia did not have a speaking part as she had explained to us numerous times there had been a mix up and the other Olivia was given the part. She came home this week saying she needed to wear black and that she had to have a nose. Whoa, this winter program wasn't going to be a holiday program, it was going to be a little performance. I get it. All the kids are dressed up as bears. Share bears=kids dressed up as bears. Got it.
When we went to the high school auditorium, there were 125 first and second grade parents all excited to see the show. I quickly noticed that only a hand full of children were wearing the black bear attire as most were in their Sunday best. Interesting. This is different. We got our seats and asked Olivia where she would be standing (you know as a parent you want to capture them on film as best you can).
Olivia had to say hello and grab a few pictures with her second grade besties. And soon the show began.
How cute. A bear story with Bailey the bear sharing honey with his bear friends. The first and second grade classes on 5 tier risers to sing the story telling songs. Little girls dressed in their pajamas to be the narrators and a one dressed in a fairy-like costume to be the winter wind. As the program progressed, Ava sat beside me always wanting to see her sister. She was rightfully singing along with the program, as she had rehearsed several times to her sister's liking.
Then came HER SONG as Ava put it. HER SONG, what?! Olivia had a solo! As working parents here is where I really feel like I need to slow down sometimes. All of the days she practiced in her room with a CD, all the papers home saying the bears needed to wear black, the permission slip to have her ride the bus for dress rehearsal---all coming together.
I am so proud of her. Olivia wasn't nervous. In fact, she seemed right in her element. She looked for us and then began to sing. As her mama, it was the most beautiful song. What a proud moment for a parent.
Thank you sweet Olivia. Thank you for putting in the effort, time, and enjoyment into The Share Bears. You are so loved. Keep up the good work kid. We are proud of you even if you aren't singing the solo.
2 comments:
Wow!! Love the vibrato she is developing her voice. She makes a grandpa proud. Still feel the tingles in my arms and back from her performance.
Your girls are absolutely beautiful!!! I hope all is well! I haven't been on here in a very long time but it was nice to see you are still on here :)
Tia
Post a Comment